The City of Burnaby had a population of 232,755 recorded in 2016 StatsCan.gov census (it was 202,799 in the 2006 Census)
- a increase of 4.3% from the 223,218 in the 2011 Census.
Language Background of Culturally Diverse Residents of Burnaby
Cultural diversity can be seen by "mother tongue" of Burnaby residents in the 2016 census profile
from Statistic Canada at https://www12.statcan.gc.ca some sample languages and numbers of people include:
- English 91,850
- French 1,645
- Vietnamese 2,375
- Cantonese 27,375
- Mandarin 32,295
- Korean 7,010
- Japanese 2,285
- Tagalog (Pilipino, Filipino) 7,435
- Iranian languages (Persian [Farsi] ) 4,645
- Italian 3,975
- German 1,505
- Spanish 4,165
- Portuguese 1,825
- Indo-Aryan languages: Punjabi (Panjabi) 2,695
- Indo-Aryan languages: Hindi 810
- Indo-Aryan languages: Gujarati 1,515
- Russian 2,650
- Serbian 1,855
- Croatian 1,535
- Polish 1,010
Location within Metro Vancouver Region
Burnaby shares its western border with
the City of Vancouver and is central to the rest of the cities and municipalities that make up the Metro Vancouver Region [formerly known as the Greater Vancouver Regional District (GVRD)]
- including West & North Vancouver to the north,
- Port Moody, Coquitlam & New Westminster to the east,
- Surrey to the south-east &
- Richmond to the south.
The population of the MetroVancouver Region (formerly known as GVRD) was 2,463,431 in the 2016 census (it was 2,116,581 in 2006).
The administrative headquarters of MetroVancouver is located at 4730 Kingsway, Burnaby, BC, V5H 0C6 , in Metro Tower III and part of the Metropolis at Metrotown mall complex (see https://metropolisatmetrotown.com/.
(across the street from the Metrotown SkyTrain Station and Bus Loop), 2 blocks north-west of the Crystal Mall and Old Orchard Mall and 4 blocks from The Metropolis-at-Metrotown Mall. See the official website at MetroVancouver.org
Burnaby City Hall
Local municipal government services, including property taxes, permits and licensing, can be seen at Burnaby City Hall web site is https://www.burnaby.ca/Our-City-Hall.html
Super Malls - Metropolis at Metrotown Mall - The Crystal Mall - Station Square Mall & Condos Complex
British Columbia's largest shopping mall, entertainment and sports facilities/complex is located in the "MetroTown neighborhood" of
Burnaby see our map. The facilities include the 3 large adjoining malls of:
- Metropolis at Metrotown, 4700 Kingsway, Burnaby, BC V5H 4N2 https://metropolisatmetrotown.com/ B.C.'s largest shopping mall with 400 stores (including Superstore and Wallmart) and 3 large office towers
- Crystal Mall, 4500 Kingsway, Burnaby, BC, V5H 2B1,
intro. to the Crystal Mall. The Crystal is the largetst Asian-Chinese mall outside of Richmond, B.C. - with its large groceries & fresh food sections on the ground floor and a very wide range of commercial services on the upstairs sections including, cell phone repairs, music shops, cookware, toy stores and of course the Chinese food court and a number of first class restaurants - the Crystal includes the adjoining Hilton Hotel
and its conference facilities.
HILTON VANCOUVER METROTOWN
6083 McKay Avenue,
Burnaby, B.C., V5H 2W7
- Station Square, 6200 McKay Ave, Burnaby, BC, V5H 4L7,
http://stationsquare.ca/ which has the Holiday Inn, 50 shops, TD Bank, including 2 pharmacies, restaurants, and 5 new residential condo towers and the first walk-in medical clinic in the area.
- We should not forget the two smaller adjacent Old Orchard Shopping Centre 4429 Kingsway, Burnaby, BC, V5H 2A1, which has the BC Liquor Store (on the corner of Kingsway and Willingdon Ave).
Combine the malls, theatres and hotels with the outdoors facilities (pitch and put golf,
tennis courts, duck ponds, stadium etc. of nearby Central Park the facilities of Bonsor Recreational Centre https://www.burnaby.ca/Things-To-Do/Community-Centres/Bonsor-Recreation-Complex.html ... you
have a world class destination to to meet, shop and play. (see also) https://www.burnaby.ca/Our-City-Hall.html Burnaby city hall web site)
The central location of the Metrotown area includes:
- being about 20-25 minutes ride by Sky Train to downtown Vancouver,
public transit loop for buses and car driving times vary depending on time of day to downtown Vancouver from 30 minutes to
60+ minutes (in rush hours)
- about 40-60 minutes from the Vancouver International Airport in Richmond -- see airport website at
"Vancouver International Airport (YVR): Gateway to the 2010 Olympic Games. The official site of IATA's #1 ranked mid-size airport in North America." www.yvr.ca
- about 45-70 minutes from the B.C. Ferries terminal in Tswassen to Victoria, Nanaimo and the Gulf Islands. See "Current conditions at major terminals, services and ships, routes and schedules and fares."
Burnaby is also home to top level educational resources including: SFU (Simon Fraser University www.sfu.ca) and BCIT (British Columbia
Institute of Technology www.bcit.ca ("A Polytechnic Institution" down the Willingdon St. hill from Metrotowns malls).
The publicly funded OLA (Open Learning Agency) with its distance
education programs is located nearby to BCIT as is thehttps://www.burnaby.ca/Our-City-Hall.html https://www.knowledge.ca/ studios Know TV which is one of Canada's parallels to the USA's PBS (Public Broadcasting System).
Local Burnaby news is covered by https://www.burnabynow.com/ which has a very active web news site, supplemented by paper newspaper given out 2 times a week.
- Driving? Listen to a.m. radio 1130 with its traffic and weather reports every 10 minutes interspersed with regional and internal news reports see their website about both news on radio and online at
- Vancouver Sun News https://vancouversun.com/category/news both as a traditonal print news paper and a major on-line website.
With a growing immigrant population in Burnaby and throughout MetroVancouver Region, Burnaby has
many privately operated - English as a second language (ESL) learning services covering English language
skills improvement, after school tutorial programs. Many of these services are located in or near to
the centrally located MetroTown area.
- Burnaby Legal Services - lawyers & notaries
- City of Burnaby - City Hall www.city.burnaby.bc.ca/common/common/index.html
- Burnaby Board of Trade www.burnabyboardoftrade.com
- SG1archive.com Stargate Information Archive. Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis News, Episode Guide, Forums, Chat, and more. [This TV series is produced at the "Bridge Studios" just east of Boundary Road in Burnaby.
- eHOSTING.ca based in Richmond, BC, -- one of Canada's top and fastest growing web hosting services for small businesses and non-profit associations.
eHosting.ca wins Metrotown.info's great service award for consistent great customer support when their are problems with a website that need to be attended to in "real time"
Special recognition is given to Ms. Amy Leung, customer services representative, for her professional, effective and fast service in January 2006 to the coordinator at Metrotown.info and several other web based organizations hosted by eHosting.ca.
Feb. 06, 2006 - thank you for Ms. Susie Lin, customer service rep. at www.ehosting.ca for help to ensure our contributors at Shanghai manufacturing client's website and email continues to run smoothly.
- December 05, 2006 - thank you to Emily, www.eHosting.ca 's CEO; Betty and Idy for hospitality and updates to Metrotowns web development coordinator Neal C.; we are reminded that the it is the people that make up ehostings great service and leadership in the industry.
- Burnaby's ethnic-cultural diversity report mentioned above, has been copied in our site archives, in the event the original report is taken off the official government website referenced above, see Burnaby...pdf copy
SEE AREA MAP OF:
MetroTown & Central Park
SEE AREA MAP OF:
MetroTown & Central Park