| Crime-Detective-Mystery Books
Located a few blocks from the University of British Columbia's 10th Avenue entrance, the Dead Write - Crime and Mystery books store and its
companion the White Dwarf Science Fiction and Fantasy bookstore have been landmarks for 3 generations of local Vancouverites and over 25 years of
University students coming through the neighborhoods' collection of bookstores, cafes, and specialty shops of "UPPER TENTH AVE." shopping and
entertainment area and the inevitable student basement suites.
The photo at the top of this page shows the White Dwarf bookstore just prior to its move in November of 2002 down the street.
This picture should bring back many fond memories from community of enthusiastic and dedicated readers of this genre of books/novels/novellas/stores.
It was in this store that many of us had the privilege of meeting many luminaries of our world including the
William Gibson who coined the term CYBERSPACE in 1995; Neil Stephenson, Spider Robinson, Dave Duncan, Guy
Gavriel Kay, Sean Stewart and the list goes on and on.
Visit their web site (which is shared by Dead Write books at DeadWrite.com
Does your book store have its emergency-management-plan up-to-date?
see the services of Safety Smart Consultant Guy Robertson, Canada's foremost consultant in
developing and maintaining disaster-emergency management plans and protocols for libraries, corporate and government
archives, corporate records management centers, financial and hospital records departments and more -- at
Vancouver is or has been the home of many well known writers such as: William Gibson, and Spider Robinson (in the Science Fiction / Fantasy Genre),
there are current and former lawyers who are well known as writers in the crime-mystery genre (contact Jill or Walter at
the Dead Write bookstore for names). What people outside don't realize is that there is also a group of
prolific freelance writers, freelance editors and business copy-writers who reside in the Vancouver area, including
- Guy Robertson, is well known to library journals, insurance and corporate trade magazines for his work in disaster-emergency management
planning. Guy is also known for his sense of wit and humour, in the library world this is sometimes called "library-humour" (or library-humor) see for instance his articles on site
- Teresa Murphy, well known in the Special Libraries Association world, Teresa was one of the first freelance travel writers to
publish on the web in the pioneer web serial Provenance the Web Magazine for Information Professionals,
being particularly known for her travel articles about Bucerius, Mexico, and Vancouver. Her first articles introduced the world
of "e-commerce" to a number of Mexican resorts in 1996-1997 (very early in the history of web advertising-infomercials)).
One of Teresa's trademarks is her sense of sparkling, friendly humor, her articles are ones to relish as you plan your vacation.
When she's not busy working as a
a professional special librarian and information researcher, she is a prolific writer and technical writing consultant to corporate clients, on topics as diverse as
marketing strategies of Ballard power systems, to how to be a information professional.
- Brian Buchanan has worked as a business consultant, a college business program instructor and lecturer, and a
prolific freelance writer for business and travel magazines.
- If you are looking for someone to help you
"make your point" about a social issue or develop a commentary piece .... take a look at some samples of his work at
- His travel articles have also been well read on the web including such destinations, as
Hadrian's Wall in northern England, canal holidays in Burgundy France, and a visiting of General George Custer's
battle site of the Little Big Horn.
- Adrienne Chan, PHD, while not a freelance writer per se, Adrienne and her associates have written-produced many adult education
promotion and training manuals over the years as a diversity-equity services consultant in western Canada for
government departments and NGOs (non-government-organziations / non-profit societies). Materials written about have included topics such as:
diversity training | education & adult-education | organizational change | social justice
| equity | policy | strategic planning | needs assessment.
Visit www.GetDiversity.com to see some of the services that Adrienne and her associates might provide
Angus Weller has been the generous contributor of many maps and map-excerpts being used throughout
this website MetroTown.info
Weller Cartographic Services will be providing more maps and samples as this web site developes.
If you would like Angus to produce a custom map for your client services or advertising project Angus is both
well versed in terms of print and web media, and can be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Map - cartography projects in the past have included:
- CITY STREET MAPS: of Vancouver, Beijing, Shanghai, Tokyo, Rio, Ulaanbatar
- TRANSIT MAPS: of Vancouver and Tokyo subway system
- COUNTRY MAPS: Mongolia, Papua New Guinea see ManusIsland.com
- SPECIALTY RECREATIONAL MAPS: interactive GOLF BC maps online
- TOPOGRAPHICAL & ROAD MAPS of Central America
- Vancouver Historical Society Atlas
- DATE CALENDARS of Vancouver with map insets
- CityOfNanaimo.com small business and community promotion project
| return to top of page | return to MetroTown.info table of contents |
Specialty Reference Resources
- Canada Law - Legal Reference Books Publishers
- Self Counsel Press · Legal & Business Publisher / Retailer, North Vancouver, BC
- known for its wide range of legal reference books and packages for people to better understand various aspects
and administrative legal procedures and process e.g. probate of wills, incorporating a small business, etc. - even if you
plan to use a lawyer or a notary public to handle your legal needs, Self Counsel Press publications are a useful way to
introduce yourself to areas of law you're about to become involved with.
- Vancouver - Pacific Rim -Illustrators for Children's Books and Stories
- Christine Wong, in Vancouver is known for her work with teaching young children introductory art appreciation
and skills at The Crystal Mall education center (next to
the Asian Food Court). Her sample work illustrating Bible stories for children teaching materials
[see CarrotStick.ca illustrator-interior-design graphics]- has been on the Internet's Web since 1996 on such
sites as Provenance.ca one of the 1st ten web magazines for librarians and archivists in the world and is
one of the freelance illustrators and graphic designers featured in ServiceMatrix.com.
- Tony Yau is currently involved in
developing web based cartoon animated characters to promote children's hygiene and safety awareness - in the midst of the
SARS problems in Hong Kong and China. some of Tony's work as a business and corporate graphic's designer and creative director of
media promotions for such companies as Xerox-Fuiji, Thai Airlines, IKEA furniture are seen on this site's China Hong Kong area
Tony received undergraduate and graduate degrees in Fine Arts (York University, Toronto) and Visual Arts (University of Alberta, Edmonton)
and has worked in Vancouver and Hong Kong with large and small specialty clients.
- Andrew Teo BushFire.com is renown for his
attention to detail and "pushing the envelope" for graphics on the web. Currently on assignment in
Malaysia, he has worked extensively in the past with Vancouver Internet Graphic's Departments and
media-advertising companies in Vancouver, e.g. www.intergate.ca
Andrew's passion for creativity in the visual arts and media has taken him into developing a career in both print and web media, living and working in Vancouver, Singapore, Indonesia and Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia.
Return to | Vancouver Info. | MetroTown.info contents |